Sunday, July 24, 2005

If Your Team's Not Playing, Who Should You Support?

So today I went to the Swans vs West Coast game. A lovely guy I work with who clearly comes from a wealthy background and is now slumming it in the arts sector gave my friends and I gold member's passes. Those things probably cost the equivalent of my year's rent - bless his cottons for offering them to us. It was just a pity we couldn't find a fucking seat... how many people have those things?? People who wear suits to the football, that's who. Wankers.

Anyway, I was with two Swans supporters (and I use that term loosely as they clearly have no idea about the rules of AFL, wouldn't know a drop-kick from a disposal, arrived late and left mid-way through the last quarter) and a West Coast supporter. She has the cap. She knows the rules. She knows her team song. She stayed right to the final siren despite her team losing. That's commitment.

I know about commitment. I have been a Hawthorn supporter for as long as I can remember.
Don't laugh at me.
My father was a Hawthorn supporter. So was his father. Its in our blood. I would never leave before the final siren, even if (sorry, when) we are losing. I know that one day we will return to the glorious form which has not been seen since the 1980s. I have faith. Anyway, we won this week. It doesn't matter that it was only against the bottom team... we have to take the victories where we can get them.

But that's not my question. My question is, since my team wasn't playing who should I barrack for? If it was anyone vs Collingwood it would be easy... I could never barrack for Collingwood. But then I probably wouldn't have gone to the game.


No comments: