Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Keep on Movin'

Apologies for the lack of posting... am up to my eyes in boxes.

Boxes?

Yes. Boxes. That's right, I'm moving house again. Our landlords gave us notice while we were both on (lengthy) overseas holidays. They're moving back in November.

Of course, them giving us notice for November didn't mean we had to stay until November... and luckily for me, my cousin has offered me an open-ended lease on his flat over the other side of the river. The "nice" side, as my mother puts it. The fact that my new place is within minutes of: (a) the church where she and my father were married; (b) my father's childhood home and the houses of his family; and (c) much fancier shops, are all contributing factors to her enthusiasm. Also adding to her excitement is the fact I'll be living on my own again for the first time since I lived in London and (in her mind) means she can pop over for visits whenever it's convenient (for her).

Sigh.

Anyway.

So far I've only packed the books and that's about 12 boxes. Someone helpfully suggested that I ditch the books and just read books on an iPad. Clearly that person is not a true reader. Whilst I am a fan of all electronic products, I prefer my books the old fashioned way. You know, the sensation of holding a book. Smelling it. Flicking through the pages. Until they invent smell-sation for the iPad, there's no way I'm getting rid of my books. Besides, they look cool all stacked on the shelves. They're just a pain in the arse to pack. Mainly because I get distracted while packing them and start reading...

Moving day is not for a couple of weeks, but I know what I'm like... and I'm also aware that while I'm moving out now, my flatmate is not leaving until November and she now works from home, so I'm trying to do it at times which won't inconvenience her. Which, given she's currently away on a course, means now.

On that note, I'd better get back to it. Linen cupboard next I think...

Oh and any recommendations on internet providers for the new place? Not Telstra. I loathe Telstra.


x





2 comments:

Polly said...

Good luck with the move x

Min plats i solen said...

On the move again? My dear, you definitely ARE the biggest mover according to my addressbook. ;)

Sad about the notice but happy about the new flat. Good luck with the move and I totally agree about books. They're a pain to move but I couldn' be without them. And electronics ones just isn't the same thing. I need the paper, the smell and the feeling of it all.

Good luck with the move and I'll speak to you really soon. Everyone sends their love!

Lotta
xx