Friday, June 04, 2010

What's My Flava?*

My beautiful friends Bek, Janine and Kate all have a beautifully poetic, almost magical element to their writing style. Their writing holds me spellbound and makes me feel calm and serene. I would really like to be able to write in that style.

But no matter how hard I try I cannot sustain this type of prose.

I don't know why. Maybe I get bored with it. Maybe I'm just too blunt. Maybe I don't find it "real". I'm not talking about their writing not being real, I mean when I write stuff like that it doesn't seem to come from a real place within me.

My style seems to be snappy. Opinionated. Brash. Which I guess I am, but I do feel that I have a sensitive side that doesn't always get reflected in my writing.

I also seem to lose my train of thought and get sidetracked. I suppose that's just how my brain works.

Anyway. That's my pondering for the day.

What's on your mind?

x



* I never thought I'd see the day I'd use a Craig David reference in my blog. That's almost as shameful as my Tommy Lee confession.

1 comment:

Chai said...

Grass is always greener. I understand Roald Dahl and Ian Fleming were envious of each other's style.

There's room for all sorts, I reckon.

If everyone wrote like Bek et al, then the world would be a duller place. :-)