Friday, May 05, 2006

Friday Night Movie Night Recommendation #2

Remember this post? It was ages ago, so I'll forgive you for not remembering.

Anyway, I was watching a movie last night when it suddenly occurred to me I never posted a follow-up. And even though this movie does appear in another of my previous posts, I still thought it worthy of being today's recommendation.

No bevis, it's not a Muppet movie. Sorry.

Today's movie is (insert fanfare):

Yes. Grosse Point Blank. I'm sure you've all probably seen it numerous times, but it's a good one to revisit - even if only for what is possibly my favourite ever scene in a film.

Its genre is probably best described as "Dysfunctional Criminal Sees a Shrink". This film started a trend with that particular genre... the most worthy being the Robert De Niro mob comedy Analyze This and the wonderful Panic with William H. Macy.

For the (hopefully) few of you who have never seen this movie, allow me to give you a brief synopsis.

Martin Blank (John Cusack) is a professional hitman who is having an increasingly hard time justifying his lucrative profession and spends a good deal of time on the psychiatrist's couch pouring out his woes. In addition, a fellow hitman named Grocer (Dan Aykroyd) is trying to kill him because Martin won't join his union.

And if all that wasn't bad enough, Martin has just received an invitation to his 10th high school reunion and is convinced to go by his quirky secretary Marcella (Joan Cusack) and reluctant shrink Dr Oatman (Alan Arkin), mostly because Dr Oatman is terrified of Martin and wants to get rid of him any way he can.

Back in Grosse Point after a 10-year absence, Martin has to confront his past, his family, and his ex-girlfriend Debi (Minnie Driver) whom he stood up on Prom Night. If facing a woman scorned, a dysfunctional family, and bad high school memories wasn't enough to destroy Martin's already fragile psyche, Grocer and two FBI agents have followed Martin back home and both have plans for him…

The things that make this film work are the casting and the fact that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Its Martin's paranoia, his flippant attitude about his profession (he tells everyone he's a hitman if they ask), and his charm that carries the movie along to (I'll admit it) its slightly lame ending.

Oh and that scene I was talking about earlier? Well its the scene, where Marcella (Joan Cusack) is destroying Martin's office (on his instructions). It. Is. Gold. Joan pretty much steals the entire film with just a jerry can and a mallet.

Happy weekends everyone!

9 comments:

Melba said...

i love this movie. i've always loved john cusack and his sister joan is a gem as well.

the way he does tell anyone whoe ask he's a hitman is funny, and the way they all think he's joking is a classic

there's a great movie he did when he was young, a couple actually. one was a sure thing, which is great, or the sure thing. another one was... i have to think about it. have you seen his earlier movies?

magical_m said...

I'm a huge fan of his earlier movies... my favourites are One Crazy Summer (with Demi Moore & Bobcat Goldthwait) and Better Off Dead (with Curtis Armstrong). Both Savage Steve Holland films... crazy director.

BEVIS said...

Boo! It should have been a Muppet movie.






(Nah; Grosse Point Blank should have been called Grouse Point Blank, although that title probably wouldn't work for anyone not from Melbourne. For the rest of you: That means I like it.)

Susanne said...

I love John Cusack. I don't think Grosse Pointe Blank is that great though.

magical_m said...

Wow! Can I really get a PhD in English Literature in just 2 weeks?

Perhaps would I be better off getting a BA in Underwater Basket Weaving?

So many options...

BEVIS said...

There's really no need for sarcasm, Magical_M.

DarrelJones5169491040 has come here, of his own free will, to make you an offer you couldn't get anywhere else (apart from any other blogs he may have visited).

Here he is, laying it all out there on the line for you, and what's your reaction? Hurtful, biting sarcasm.

Spiteful, what's worse.

It's attitudes like these that I find truly unattractive in a person. Surely you wouldn't want someone to be so flippant if you'd offered them the chance to further their education (perhaps he took one look at your blog and decided you needed it?). And then to think he left you with his private phone number and invited you to call him any time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! Now that's service!

Look at the range of degrees you can get! This is not some backyard college degree-making factory, young lady. This is clearly a decent, hard-working university professor trying to do the greater good for all humankind in his spare time.

With a guarantee like this: "100% verifiable, this is a real deal", you know you're dealing with quality. And all in two weeks! You don't even have to complete any exams or assignments! You can just take some leave from work and come back a fortnight later more qualified than your boss. I can think of nothing better.

Ignore the disgraceful grammar skills being utilised here: "Act now you owe it to your future" and call the damn number immediately.

I hope you're ashamed of yourself.

BEVIS said...

:)

magical_m said...

Oh you're funny bevis. Too funny. And I'm not being sarcastic here... I've just spent the last five minutes giggling so much that the cute boy at the coffee cart across the foyer came over to see what was so funny.

Not that I let him read it or anything. I have to keep up my disguise...


x

BEVIS said...

Glad to hear it was well-received.

:)