Saturday, November 19, 2005

Darn it...

Sometimes (like tonight), I do something that reminds me how just how lucky I really am to live the life I lead.

I've just spent the last 5 hours being paid to 'work' at the Pissarro exhibition opening at the Art Gallery of NSW, dressed up and re-creating scenes from some of his paintings.

Like this one:


And this one:

I got sewing both times. Me. The world's worst seamstress. Me, who got kicked out of home economics in the eighth grade, because I managed to sew the sewing machine needle right through my index finger (I was busy chatting to someone) and broke the machine trying to get the bugger out.

But you know, there was something quite soothing about darning stockings. I got quite creative with it too - turned my stockings into a ruffle. Macgyver in a frock with a needle.

In between each of those 45 minute sewing stints, I was dressed up as a peasant, giving out pink peonies and walking through a marketplace with loaves of bread, eating apples and imagining I was Belle from Beauty & The Beast.

And we got lots of breaks when we were fed... the same 'substantial canapes' that the well-to-do Art Gallery set were fed. The salmon and asparagus with hollandaise sauce was awesome.

Gosh it was fun.

I love playing dress-ups.

I love my life.